Friday, January 2, 2009

Extreme Parenting

I was watching 20/20 tonight and the whole show was about "extreme parenting". Some of the stories I thought were outright craziness however, some of them I totally thought were right on track.
Home birthing for instance. I think with the right planning and back up plans and a midwife this is a total possibility and probably a really empowering experience. Looking back on my birth experiences it makes me wish I had done things differently.
"Extended" breastfeeding. This is another topic that I feel quite strongly about. I believe in child led weaning. Now personally I think my limit would be three-four years of age but that is just me personally. If you really feel the nutritional benefits are important then I would pump but that is just me. I personally question the whole value of the cows milk we drink anyways. I find it odd that we are the only species that drinks another species milk. That is a whole nother post though ;)
I know some people think that I am a little bit hippie in the fact that I cloth diaper and "wear my babies" but I just think I am going back to a simpler life and maybe if I had the chance to do it again I would save my money on buying formula and try and have a more natural birthing experience.

No comments: