Friday, February 6, 2009

Scare of a lifetime




I remember running away when I was young. I would pack my bag and a snack and take off to the park until I got bored. I would eat my snack, sit there for a while and eventually head on home.
Well, let me tell you. Times have changed. Kianne ran away from home yesterday with her bag packed. No snack, although I was thinking of offering her one. I have to be honest I really wasn't worried. I watched what direction she left in and figured she had gone to her friends house.
At this point it was still daylight and I didn't chase after her because I honestly didn't think she'd be gone long.
Once it started to get dark I got to calling her friends homes to see if she was there. It had been an hour already and I was starting to get a little worried. None of the friends or parent's had seen her. Once Jayson got home it had been just a little over an hour and so I hopped in the van with Corey to scout out all the parks and school yard and friends houses again. Still no sign of Kianne. After I saw the one friend whom I was sure she was with, playing with another girl and they had not seen Kianne I really started to panic!
I drove down the major highway closest to our home to see if she was trying to walk to her Father's home. I went as far as I thought she would make it looking on both sides of road at all times and lucky I didn't crash.
I finally turned around as it just didn't seem that she could walk that far.
I went back home and it was Jay's turn. He first went out in the car and checked around the neighbourhood again and when he came home alone he went out on foot. It had now been 2 hours and I was feeling sick to my stomach that something awful had happened and mad at the same time that she would pull this stunt.
It was dark and almost 7pm and she had been gone for so long I phoned the police. I think at first the officer thought I was some dead beat mom. She had asked if I went after her when she "ran away" and I explained I hadn't because I really didn't think she was going anywhere.
After I was able to tell the lady officer that I had called and driven to all the friends homes and spoken to parents, provided a detailed description of what she was wearing and what kind of backpack she was carrying. The officer softened up obviously noticing that if I was that aware of details I didn't just let my kid run the streets.
Jayson was still out on foot during this time and I felt a little relief knowing that the police were aware of the missing child and keeping their eyes out.
About 20 minutes later the police called and they had found Kianne!
I was sooooo relieved. I asked the officer where she was and the officer was quite short with me and wouldn't tell me. She simply said the police have her and they will bring her back sometime tonight. She didn't know how long they would have her but someone would let me know.
Now I understand that they probably wanted to assess the situation and make sure she wasn't living in some horrible situation but after a night like this I just wanted my girl back home with me.
They finally called and said they were on their way home. Kianne came home with the police officers crying but happy to be home. She was scared.
She had walked all the way to the corner of Stafford and Mulvey. (which of course is right by Dad's house) however she got lost. She asked a man for directions to a park and luckily he was a good person and thought this was a strange scenario and did the right thing by calling the police.
He apparently is a teacher and him and his wife gave Kianne a banana and stayed with her until the police came.
I want to somehow get this man's info so I can thank him for keeping my daughter safe.
I am still in shock that this happened but so very thankful for our police service and for good people in the world.
Now that we have her home safe and sound there will be a discussion and consequences.
I'm just happy to have my girl back.

2 comments:

Robin said...

WOW! What a scary time that must have been for you, I'm so glad she's home and safe now! How did you guys deal with it after? Talk to her about it? How's she doing now?

Stacey said...

Yikes! I remember 'running away' too, but it was just to the end of the road where I sat and watched the traffic drive by.

I'm so glad someone found here. How very very scary.