Monday, June 21, 2010

Easier to not Care

Sometimes I wish I could be one of those parents that had no care in the world what my kids were up to or learning or exposed to. I think it must be so easy. To just roll along and really be clueless.
Maybe it is because our values are different from a lot of society that I have to question everything.
It is such a fine line between letting your kids develop and explore and learn on their own and "helicoptering" over top of their every move.
I do not want to be the helicopter parent but find that in some cases it is absolutely neccesary. As they get older I suppose I'll need to start my descent and let them find their wings. In the meantime though I will continue to question and observe and sometimes make choices for my kids that go against the grain.
As a parent I have a job to do and I must take that seriously.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I agree Kenzie. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know that other moms (and dads) work hard out there to parent their children.

Listpower said...

I think some parents sometimes believe they should be a friend. But there is a big difference between being a friend and being a parent.