Sunday, May 2, 2010

ADHD

If anyone in this house really has ADHD it is me. I mean I cannot focus on any one thing or task for any real length of time. I am impulsive and have new ideas however as soon as a little bit of work is involved I am also the first to move on and find something else to intrigue or excite me.
I think it is interesting that both of my kids have been "diagnosed" with ADHD and yet I seem to have made it fine through life.
I've never taken a drug or any type of meds to help me focus or be less impulsive. I also never had extra helpers in any of my classes to keep me in control. Maybe though, people and teachers weren't looking for the typical adhd symptoms and therefore I wasn't a target.
Anyway, all this to say that I am pretty sure that I likely do have adhd however life goes on and somehow I manage it without even really knowing or paying attention.
Would drugs or meds have helped me? Maybe but I'm sure as heck not going to find out at this point in my life.
So, do my kids need meds or will they just learn to grow into it and adapt to life the way I'm sure thousands of people have?
I worry for them with the targets and labels and the idea that they have to settle for second best.
I have already heard that Corey will make a really good trades person and not be a professional. My opinion of course is that if he wants to be a trades person I am perfectly fine with that but I want it to be his choice and not be led into believing that is all he can achieve.
I want my kids to succeed in life just like everyone else but I don't want them limited by labels.

1 comment:

Tatiana said...

Looking back on my elementary school career my mom figures if I were in school now I would have been labeled ADHD as well. I just had so many interests and creativity in spades the school didn't really know how to deal with it. So my parents challenged me and engaged me in other ways outside school. I was in art classes, drama classes all sorts of stuff. Finally a high school teacher told my parents she just needs to engaged differently than other students...she's like uber right brained. And I turned out just fine.

Your children will succeed at anything they put their minds to.