Tuesday, May 12, 2009

School of thought

We had tri-conference last week for Kianne and Corey and thankfully they are doing okay in school. I wish though that some of the school policies weren't there. For instance the "no fail" policy. NOT that I want my children held back but I think in the big scheme of things if one is not succeeding then a second chance may be a good idea. I believe our schools are maxed out on staff and budget and therefore can only do so much but I believe it is affecting our children and their educations.
I am sorry to say that we yet again did not get accepted into a great little private school around here. If we could afford any of the others we would certainly consider it however they are way beyond our budget.
I presented Kianne with a multiplication table like we used to use in "the olden days" she had never seen this and when I asked the teacher about this she informed me they don't use these anymore and are trying different strategies. Well to be honest when she explained it to me my head was spinning. Anyone who knows me knows that math is definitely not my strong point however that old multiplication table did the trick so I guess you have to ask "why fix what ain't broke"?
Anyway, all this rant just to say that over the last couple of months I have gathered enough info and evidence that Matthew and Jordyn will be home schooled from K-3 so that I can ensure they have a solid start in their school career.
I am all about kids being kids and not getting stressed about academics at such a young age but I do want them to feel confident and strong and I feel that Kianne in particular is not getting this.
I'm not sure what to do at this point about it and hate to think that is to late. I am going to be visiting a KUMON center though to see what they have to offer.

5 comments:

In Everything said...

As a mommy with a high school math teaching degree and a substitute teacher for 3 years (on one of the BEST school systems)... I can tell you that there are many flaws... but NOTHING is better than a parent being active in their child's education (to the best of their abililty)! So I commend you for being a part of your childrens' education!!

Maybe this summer, you could work on some of the weaknesses the kids have in Math & other subjects. bring out the flashcards and make a game out of learning their multiplication facts:)

I am also homeschooling my little ones.... so enjoy that endeavor!! I have daughter who will be doing 1st grade work in the fall and a son content in Pre-K/K, learning to read. And a 2 year learning through osmossis:)

Anonymous said...

You know I have to say quite honestly without trying to start a debate that it's unfortunate that you don't feel that your older kids got a good start in the school system...you know my opinion completely differs on home schooling so I won't say much about it. I am confused because they were home schooled and then put back in? Or one anyway? I am guessing it was because school offers much more than academic training- it offers structure, social aspects, after and during school clubs and the list continues...
If you feel that you can do a better job, then why not practice home schooling after school hours...sitting down for an hour and a half with your older kids would help them but also provide you with practice.

I have looked at my own child's math in the last couple days...I was never strong with math- maybe it was broke? Maybe they fixed it?

Kenzie said...

Obviously it is much more difficult to pull a child out of school and homeschool without a sense of losing something.
On the contrary though when you begin a homeschool journey from the beginning and later send them to public or private school they will still get the best of both worlds.
To think that I would steal another hour or hour and half of my children's day to fill in the gaps that the school system has missed is absurd. They are only children for so long and need to run and play. The amount of homework that is already expected at such a young age is bad enough without expecting them to do another hour of school work. Of course I will sit with them and help them through homework but I will not give them more over and above that.
I'm glad you think that the public school system is working for your family because it is all about what works and what our kids need to be successful.
As for practice I won't need it ;)
I'm a natural at parenting and teaching.

Anonymous said...

But you would pay someone at Kumon to spend the extra time filling in the gaps? There are kids that need extra help (has been forever and I am sure even home schooled kids don't fair well in some subjects) ...so is it a matter of running and playing? Or a matter of needing the extra help. And I didn't mean the word "practice" offensively I am sure that you could be great.
I can't believe that you say you wont give them anything beyond and above helping "through" the homework- I know you pretty well that doesn't sound like you at all

Kenzie said...

I will pay someone at KUMON because it won't take them nearly as long to catch her up hopefully. Of course I am working with her as well but this is beyond me.
Of course there are kids who need extra help that is life and homeschooling has nothing to do with that or my choice to homeschool for those first early years.
I'm not sure what you mean by
"I can't believe that you say you wont give them anything beyond and above helping "through" the homework- I know you pretty well that doesn't sound like you at all"